The Big Sleep

Friends & Fauxs,

Whether he’s speaking about Cannibal Corpse or the Constitution, Henry Rollins often likes to remind his audiences that he’s “not an expert; just a fan.” I’d like to echo these words before I dive into my first post, and let you know that I consider myself nothing more than a music enthusiast bent on sharing and discussing some of my favorite cuts with you.

That being said, I’d like to wish you a happy Spring, and dedicate my first post to a song by Bubonic Plague. Not the Dutch black metal quartet we all love, but the all-female group from the City of Angels. Active from 2004-2007, the group self-released a series of albums primarily recorded on 8-tracks, giving their songs a more raw, menacing tone. I’m hesitant to try and label their music, as their frontwoman, Geneva  Gavin, vocally detests genres and labels, especially the often lazily-assigned term, “Lo-Fi.” She points out that labeling something as “Lo-Fi” is akin to dubbing a group a “CD” or “Pro Tools” band. I couldn’t agree more! But for the sake of provoking your interest, I’ll mention that the group’s sound blends elements of retro electro-funk, darkwave, goth and at times, tropicalia, sounding like it’s being played out of a muffled intercom speaker in an insane asylum.

The track “Sleep Room,” is certainly heavier than the many black metal blands (bands*) that their tongue-in-cheek band name mocks, and is also incredibly catchy. The title (and lyrical content) likely refers to the horrific brainwashing experiments conducted in Canada during the 1950s, known as MKULtra, where researchers subjected “troubled” patients to days of drug-induced comas, and used controversial medical techniques to erase existing memories and reprogram their psyches. Garvin sings with a sense of delusion and detachment that slightly mirrors the mental state of one of the experiments’ victims, which produces a very chilling effect.

Anyhow, low and behold the track below, which conveniently contains portions of the lyrics so that you can sing along! (no Mickey Mouse “bouncing ball” to guide you through each syllable, but good enough)