Mickey Mouse is a Rat.

A few years back I stumbled across the song “Disneyland” by Come On, a lost gem of the NYC 70’s music scene. The lyrics did me in right away, “I hate Disneyland, Mickey didn’t shake my hand. Mickey Mouse is a Rat! Micky Mouse is a rat!” The vocals flip between a damning rant against the happiest place on earth and Mickey Mouse impressions that lead me to believe that the lead singer may have been a lunatic. To give them some street cred, David Byrne allegedly took Brian Eno to see them perform at CBGB.

My original plan here was to post that song for you to enjoy, but I believe that Disney may have used their magic powers to eradicate it from the Internet completely. Nobody puts Mickey in a corner! If you have Spotify please check it out on their album New York City 1976-80, Track 16, it’s a hoot!

Lucky for us, the entire album is fabulous and full of lunatic speech and catchy guitar riffs. Here’s just a taste, “Housewives Play Tennis.”