Fantastic Man: A Film About William Onyeabor

I was so happy to see this video in my inbox this morning from Luaka Bop, I had to share. If you don’t know about the story, I won’t ruin it. Just watch this brief insight into Gongbanter’s favorite mystery in music, Mr. William Onyeabor.

Music to love to…

Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!

Whether you are spending your night drinking fancy wine at a fancy restaurant or going to a movie with your parents or on the couch swiping right on Tinder, we’ve got tunes for you.
Turn your love light on!

1. This is not new or original by any means, BUT I DON’T CARE EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS SONG BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND YOUR LAMP! -caitiebee

2. Ugly Needs – Miniature Tigers We all got ’em. But “nothing feels heavy when you’re close to me.” -rye

3. Maybe you are spending the special day focusing on something else you love, a passion, like knitting or beer. Take a moment to reflect on why that hobby is so important, take hints from Adam Ant’s Why Do Girls Love Horses? -caitiebee

4.  Let Valentine’s Day be your New Year’s and become “born again virgins of life” with your partner to The Growlers – Underneath Our Palms -rye

5.  Then clear some space out, so you can space out with Shabazz Palaces – Recollections of the Wraith -rye

6. Sometimes all you can do on February 14th is beg and plead for a lost or fictional love, Plea by Baths commiserates with you. -caitiebee

7.  The Barbaras, who later morphed into the Magic Kids, recorded an early stripped down version of Superball with Jay Reatard that was recently recovered, and released as part of a Barbaras compilation. Don’t let your love bounce away.. The Barbaras – Superball -rye

8. And of course…after the party is the after-party. We know what you do in the wee hours of the night. For this I wanted to post Erotic City by Prince, unfortunately he is quite the vigilante when it comes to intellectual property, so here is my current favorite sexy song, Disclosure’s Latch, the DJ Premiere Remix. -caitiebee

Music to Weather the Winter to…

Hello friends! As some of you may have heard, part time Punxsutwawney Phil decided to grace us with his furry presence this last Sunday, observing his own shadow on a nippy Sunday morning at Gobbler’s Knob. In other words, we’re due for six more weeks of ungodly winter weather.

To our friends on the east coast/mid-west/rest of the country, we want you to know that we feel your pain (it dropped to 50 degrees here in LA the other day!), and that when the cold feels unbearable, just remember the words of Sean Lennon’s mother: “Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance.” So while Old Man Winter rages, throw on this playlist in another addition of “Music to…”

Na Zdorovie!

1. Let’s start out raw with Jay Reatard – My Shadow. ‘Cause while the iconoclast in me scoffs at the tradition of Groundhog Day, another part of me wishes that my shadow held the same amount of climatic predictability. But sometimes you’re just given a shit hand in life. –rye

2. It rained in Los Angeles last night! I’m no climatologist, and I  haven’t a clue what that means for our mega-drought…but until we seem on solid footing I’ll keep doing my rain dance to I Sing Rain by Gary Numan. –caitiebee

3. Speaking of rain, this is my favorite song to listen to in the rain, All Living Things by Katie Kim. If you want more on her check out the post below. –caitiebee

4. You’ve become restless and claustrophobic after your 6th day snowed in your vacation cottage with your least favorite side of the family, and the only way left to cope is to put on music that reflects your state of mind. So try the frenzied Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ “Cabin Fever!” –rye

5. Or maybe this has given you an opportunity to spend all your time indoors with your significant other. If so, the vibey, cosmic disco of Heroes Of The Galleon Trade’s “Winter Island Romance” may suit you and your partner better. –rye

6. When I lived in Berlin, I learned they just boogie their pain away in sub-zero temperatures. Shake your booty to some Dip Dap by Siriusmo, you’ll feel better I promise! –caitiebee

7. In some areas, the snow may be nice enough to play in, or maybe even make snow angels in. But instead of playing a track from XTC’s New Wave classic “Drums & Wires” like you usually do, throw on a track from “Lure of the Salvage”; a collection of sludgy, tripped out semi-dub versions of former XTC tracks, melded together by Andy Partridge himself. Let’s say, I Sit In The Snow by Mr. Partridge. –rye

8. Meanwhile in California…Sing About Me, I’m Dying of Thirst. –caitiebee

And this song hasn’t made it to youtube yet…

Katie Kim

I’d like to take this rainy evening to show you Katie Kim.

Cold weather always reminds me to listen to her album Cover & Flood, a personal favorite of mine. Each track more haunting than the next, Katie Kim manages to create an incredibly unique sound that ranges from soothing to terrifying. She produced, recorded, and mixed the entire album herself, and it’s gorgeous.

I’ll give you a taste with one of my favorite tracks off the 2012 album. Katie herself suggests her music is best understood in the dark with a glass of wine, so grab a glass and take a listen to “Fake Your Death”:

Please check out the entire album, as well as the rest of her records on her bandcamp site.