Music to ponder Women’s History Month to…

March is Women’s History Month! As it draws to a close, let’s take a walk down memory lane with some of Gongbanter’s favorite leading ladies…

1928: “He shakes my ashes, greases my griddle, churns my butter, strokes my fiddle,” sang Ethel Waters in “My Handy Man.” This was 1928 people!…and Waters was making some of the dirtiest innuendos I’ve ever heard. Talk about balls.  – caitiebee

1961: What would the timeline be without the Queen of Rockabilly? Here’s Wanda Jackson’s “Funnel of Love” -caitiebee

1967: Along came some original ladies’ garage rock, The Fatimas “Hoochy Coo” -caitiebee

1977: Grab your saxophone and join in the chorus with Poly Styrene with The X-Ray Spex, “Oh Bondage Up Yours!” -rye

1979: Mock and challenge traditional roles with The Slits – Typical Girls –rye

Again, 1979: The Raincoats came out with “Off Duty Trip“, which is still surprisingly pertinent 35 years later, a striking song about sexual abuse in the military -caitiebee

(Can you tell we really like the ladies that rocked out in their garages in the 70s?)

2005: If anyone dares judge you, throw on Le Volume Courbe’s “I Shall Skip Your Judgment.” -rye

2009: My Personal hero, Lily Allen sang out an angry fervor over the female orgasm in “Not Fair” -caitiebee

2012: These ladies are just incredible, THEESatisfation “Bitch” -caitiebee

2014: And from Sabina’s (of Brazilian Girls) new solo debut, here’s “I Won’t Let You Break Me” –rye

Just sittin’ in a garden

Here’s a tune to start your day off right.

“Down Beside Em'” comes from Maryland-based Cotton Jones off the 2011 EP Sit Beside Your Vegetables.

I love the texture of this song. I know there is a proper musical term to describe it, but my Music Appreciation 101 is escaping me about now. As a matter of fact, the entire Cotton Jones catalog has more texture than most. One minute you’re on your couch listening to whimsical folk, the next you are in a psychedelic bayou.

And the words! Disclaimer. I’ve always been pretty awful at deciphering the deeper meaning in lyrics. I’m a melody girl. That said…superficially speaking…these lyrics have forced me out on multiple nature walks this week and had me searching for last minute camp sites up and down the California coast. I’m yet to visit a proper garden to sit in, that’s the goal of this weekend.

As it warms up in town, why not go lay down beside the vegetables?

Music to Repent to…

‘Tis the season for atonement, alms-giving and mortification of the flesh! That is, according to the Christian liturgical calendar.

That being said, we realize that many of you at the very least may take the next 40 days and nights to give up a particular vice(s). So why not let a curated Gongbanter playlist accompany your journey into self-denial?

1.  As Scottish Sophisti-pop quartet Orange Juice sings, “Rip it up and start again”…to live the baptismal life in its fullness! –rye

2. Of course we need a song about Jesus, The Hollies’ Jesus Was A Crossmaker –caitiebee

3.  Caramel – Connan Mockasin If John Waters and Ariel Pink got it on (and Michael McDonald watched), the resulting child would look something like Connan Mockasin. As far as his sound goes, the Quietus aptly describes it as the “sound of an elf singing in the bath.” Anyway, I’d give up many things for Lent, but never caramel. Nor Connan Mockasin. –rye

4.  PJ Harvey – Written On the Forehead Display that ash cross with pride!  –rye

5. One year, I gave up cursing for Lent. I dropped f-bombs on the inside instead. Here’s a nice song with lots of f-bombs, in case you need to get it out of you. Laura Stevenson and the cans covering Bomb The Music Industry’s It Ceases To Be Whining If You’re Still Shitting Blood. –caitiebee

6. Repent every Sunday! Sunday Morning by Gardens and Villa –caitiebee

7.  fIREHOSE – Powerful Hankerin’. Cause you know it’s comin’ if it hasn’t already! –rye

8. Careful. Once those 40 days are up, don’t sink back into a sinful stupor, Oblivion by The Seshen –caitiebee

Unfinished

I’d be remiss if I didn’t shed some light on the madness of my favorite French music producer/director, Quentin Dupieux aka Mr. Oizo.

Many of you who partook in the wave of heavy French nu-disco a la Justice are probably familiar with his music. Cuts such as “Positif” and “Gay Dentists” from his “Lamb’s Anger” record often appeared and continue to appear in many-a DJ sets, from 2manyDJs to Kutmah.

Though one track you probably didn’t hear was a Lamb’s Anger bonus track titled “Unfinished (Lamb’s Garbage)”– a series of crudely mixed snippets of ideas that were never developed into tracks of their own.  The piece takes you on a ride through through a series of beats and spoken word sections, punctuated with a familiarly warped voice reminding you of the track’s unfinished nature.

Ironically, the mix is full of shining moments that make you wonder why Oizo never developed any of these wonderful ideas. Highlights include a computer-generated voice reading a line from Madonna’s “Like A Virgin,” an odd Mariah Carey sample, and a creepy keyboard interlude that you might expect to hear from a demented baseball organist.

Overall, this track is a tease– snippets of undeveloped ideas and outtakes THAT COULD’VE BEEN SOMEBODY.  I love it though, and think every artist should release a mega-mix of unused “garbage.” Enjoy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fZ6C7nGIQ

I’d also like to point out that Dupieux often opens his DJ sets with a manipulated rendition of “The Devo Corporate Anthem”– a fun fact that couldn’t be more timely to mention given the passing of “Bob 2” Casale of Devo. Thus, we feel it only appropriate to salute the late great spud himself by sharing the instrumental piece that opens “Duty Now For The Future.”