Unfinished

I’d be remiss if I didn’t shed some light on the madness of my favorite French music producer/director, Quentin Dupieux aka Mr. Oizo.

Many of you who partook in the wave of heavy French nu-disco a la Justice are probably familiar with his music. Cuts such as “Positif” and “Gay Dentists” from his “Lamb’s Anger” record often appeared and continue to appear in many-a DJ sets, from 2manyDJs to Kutmah.

Though one track you probably didn’t hear was a Lamb’s Anger bonus track titled “Unfinished (Lamb’s Garbage)”– a series of crudely mixed snippets of ideas that were never developed into tracks of their own.  The piece takes you on a ride through through a series of beats and spoken word sections, punctuated with a familiarly warped voice reminding you of the track’s unfinished nature.

Ironically, the mix is full of shining moments that make you wonder why Oizo never developed any of these wonderful ideas. Highlights include a computer-generated voice reading a line from Madonna’s “Like A Virgin,” an odd Mariah Carey sample, and a creepy keyboard interlude that you might expect to hear from a demented baseball organist.

Overall, this track is a tease– snippets of undeveloped ideas and outtakes THAT COULD’VE BEEN SOMEBODY.  I love it though, and think every artist should release a mega-mix of unused “garbage.” Enjoy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fZ6C7nGIQ

I’d also like to point out that Dupieux often opens his DJ sets with a manipulated rendition of “The Devo Corporate Anthem”– a fun fact that couldn’t be more timely to mention given the passing of “Bob 2” Casale of Devo. Thus, we feel it only appropriate to salute the late great spud himself by sharing the instrumental piece that opens “Duty Now For The Future.”