Music to ponder Women’s History Month to…

March is Women’s History Month! As it draws to a close, let’s take a walk down memory lane with some of Gongbanter’s favorite leading ladies…

1928: “He shakes my ashes, greases my griddle, churns my butter, strokes my fiddle,” sang Ethel Waters in “My Handy Man.” This was 1928 people!…and Waters was making some of the dirtiest innuendos I’ve ever heard. Talk about balls.  – caitiebee

1961: What would the timeline be without the Queen of Rockabilly? Here’s Wanda Jackson’s “Funnel of Love” -caitiebee

1967: Along came some original ladies’ garage rock, The Fatimas “Hoochy Coo” -caitiebee

1977: Grab your saxophone and join in the chorus with Poly Styrene with The X-Ray Spex, “Oh Bondage Up Yours!” -rye

1979: Mock and challenge traditional roles with The Slits – Typical Girls –rye

Again, 1979: The Raincoats came out with “Off Duty Trip“, which is still surprisingly pertinent 35 years later, a striking song about sexual abuse in the military -caitiebee

(Can you tell we really like the ladies that rocked out in their garages in the 70s?)

2005: If anyone dares judge you, throw on Le Volume Courbe’s “I Shall Skip Your Judgment.” -rye

2009: My Personal hero, Lily Allen sang out an angry fervor over the female orgasm in “Not Fair” -caitiebee

2012: These ladies are just incredible, THEESatisfation “Bitch” -caitiebee

2014: And from Sabina’s (of Brazilian Girls) new solo debut, here’s “I Won’t Let You Break Me” –rye