FYF Forecast ’14 Edition!

It’s that time of year again, folks!  As the festival formerly known as Fuck Yeah Fest rapidly approaches us like a runaway train full of woodchips, sweaty mustaches and garlic fries, we’d like to whet your palette with a humble “do not miss” playlist to so you won’t have (m)any regrets the following Monday.

1. The song Violent Shiver may have caught your ear on KCRW lately. Or you might have seen Benjamin Booker opening up for Jack White this summer. If not, make sure to be on the FYF grounds no later than 3:15 to snag a great spot for this shining star. He’s got a hell of a way about him and is definitely not to be missed.–caitiebee

2. Here is a particularly tasty morsel– Real Estate (who play Saturday) covering the classic “Barely Legal” from 2001’s Is This It. Between the separate sets of RE, Julian/Voidz, Albert and The Strokes, someone better fucking perform this or 14-year old me will take to some aggressive moping. –rye

3. Don’t let the artist photos trick you, though the backgrounds may be different, the man looking whimsically to his left in both the Daphni And Caribou photos is Dan Snaith. He’s got a busy weekend and will definitely bring some fun dance numbers to the stage. I like Dan when he calls himself Daphni, especially his mix of Cos Ber Zam’s Ne Noya. –caitiebee

4. FYF loves Joyce Manor and so do we. Their new album is 19 minutes long and fantastic, here’s Catalina Fight Song. –caitiebee

5.  While I’ve never been one to harbor a hard-on for Animal Collective or each of the separate member’s solo projects, Avery Tare’s Slasher Flicks group is irrefutably fetching. Very much looking forward to a performance of “Little Fang” accompanied by some phantasmic visuals –rye

6.  Man Man – Steak Knives.  A stripped down track from my favorite group performing this weekend. Honus Honus & his merry band of miscreants put on a live show that’s reminiscent of a “California”-era Mr. Bungle performance, and will challenge you as much as it’ll make you shimmy. Don’t be reckless with your life– let this band loot your body on the “Lawn” stage on the Lord’s day. –rye

7. My favorite, Chet Faker – 1998.  –caitiebee

8.   Another artist you won’t want to miss this year is the unstoppable jazz fusion/electronic/psychedelic juggernaut, Thundercat. I happened to catch the tail end of his opening set for the Chili Peppers last year, in which he played a face melting show to lukewarm fanfare from a crowd of mostly polo-clad bros and their girlfriends, who visibly (and audibly) seemed to “not get it.” If this anecdote hasn’t sold you, check out this live concert review that our good friend Eric Wolff wrote up for Performer Mag. Also, word on the street is that his forthcoming record features guest spots from Kimbra and Erykah Badu, so I’m going to cross my fingers for a guest appearance or two.  In the meanwhile, check out this collaboration with Flying Lotus (also appearing this weekend), “Oh Sheit, It’s X!,” which should serve as a proper gateway drug into this madman’s music. –rye

See you there!