Music to sing-a-long to…

There are some really great cover songs…and some really bad ones too. Right now let’s focus on the good ones, some that might even be better than the originals. And hey! It’s probably a lot of songs that you’ve heard before, just in a whole new light.

1) To start us off, here is my absolute favorite cover of all time. We downloaded this song illegally years and years ago, back when that was legal. A really creative cover of Snoop Dogg’s “Gin & Juice by The Gourds.” -caitiebee

2) James McNew, the bassist of Yo La Tengo, has a side project called “Dump.” In 1991, Dump released an album polluted with lo-fi, grungy Prince covers called “That Skinny Motherfucker With The High Voice.”  Here’s “When You Were Mine” –rye

3) I was always indifferent towards John Lennon’s “Jealous Guy” until I heard Donny Hathaway take it to new heights on his “Live” record performance.—rye

4) “Toxic” by Britney Spears is a brilliant pop song. It’s that one Britney song that people don’t mind admitting they love. I also enjoy this Mark Ronson version. -caitiebee

5) Always good at turning anything just creepy enough, Cocrosie did a great job making my feel weird lisening to the Beach Boys’ “Surfer Girl“. -caitiebee

6)  Just in time for Saint Patrick’s Day, Irish singer songwriter Sinead O’Connor announced this week that she’ll no longer perform one of my favorite songs, “Nothing Compares 2 U” live.  So who will carry the torch? Capital Cities, perhaps? —rye

7) Growing up I loved all of those “punk gone pop” albums, you know when some up and coming hard rockers would cover Backstreet Boys. Here’s some of today’s punks going pop, on a song that became famous as a cover to begin with, Joyce Manor’s “Video Killed the Radio Star.” -caitiebee

8) Another one of my favorite songs turned totally creepy, SQURL featuring Madeline Follin covering Wanda Jackson’s “Funnel of Love.” -caitiebee

9) Of the many versions of Kraftwerk’s “The Model”, former Residents member Snakefinger’s version comes out on top, with Big Black taking a very close 2nd. —rye

10)  Ryan Adams re-imagined  Iron Maiden’s “Wasted Years“, really capturing the wistfulness of the song’s lyrics. To me, this is what covers are all about –rye

11) Here is a song that, I must admit…when it came out…I didn’t even know was a cover. But it is! A cover of a Kate Bush song! Here is “Hounds of Love” by The Futureheads. -caitiebee

12) Never thought David Bowie’s “Ashes To Ashes” needed a cover until I heard Warpaint take a crack at it —rye

13)  “Age Of Consent” – One of my favorite songs ever receiving a tender Geographer treatment –rye

14) This one blows me away, Nina Simone’s version of “The House of the Rising Sun.” -caitiebee