Ilectro

I’m extremely shallow as far as record shopping is concerned. I’m routinely seduced buy intriguing album covers and will throw it in the bag a la Fabolous without giving a listen.  So when I came across the cover of an Ilaiyaraaja compilation that included the tagline “Euphoric Electronics + Robotic Funk” in 80s calculator font (not to mention a man rocking old-school Adidas shoes), I pulled the trigger.

Turns out the maestro behind these wondrous compositions is South Indian composer Ilaiyaraaja, also known as the The Crown Prince Of Tamil Pop. His prolific and diverse career includes many flirtations with western music ideas, and on the “Ilectro” collection, he fuses 80s funk, electro and synth pop with Kollywood sensibilities.

As usual, the label behind this release (Finders Keepers) never fails to impress with their knack for unearthing rare and addictive gems from around the globe. I fantasize about the day the label offers a sweepstakes similar to the early 90s Nickelodeon Super Toy Run, where contestants had the chance to win a 5-minute dash through a Toys ‘R’ Us and throw as many items as possible in a shopping cart for theirs to keep. I’ll continue to dream about this day while I play the living hell out of this record. Here’s “Don’t Compare