FYF 2015!

Ryan and I have attended FYF since it was Fuck Yeah Fest. Back then you had to wait in a line for hours and there was no water for purchase…though last year seemed like time warp…

Granted each year we come back wheezing and sore, and it’s always a grand old time.

Though I won’t be in attendance this year, I will definitely be there in spirit. And don’t worry, Ryan will be there–look for the one moshing to Death Grips, inhaler in hand.

1) Rejoice! Because it’s that time of year again, but this time Andrew Jackson Jihad made it out of their DIY living room and garage stages to celebrate with you. –caitiebee

2)  As usual, we anticipate a beautiful disaster— one in which stellar curation and performance meet piss-poor planning and organization. Essentially, our masochistic relationship with this festival continues, and I have no doubt it will once again drive me crazy. At least catching Kaytranada will be fun. —rye

3) I’ve sadly never seen Thee Oh Sees perform before, but they will always be a favorite. Check them out and report back please. Prep with “I Can’t Get No” –caitiebee

4) Go see Purity Ring, mostly because of this handmade light-up drum contraption –caitiebee

5)  While things have gotten better, I can’t help but recall the days when FYF turned into a dirt storm and ran out of water while the sun was still up (as Caitlin referenced earlier).  So strap on your surgical masks and orthopedic shoes for Lower Dens, and hope you don’t die in L.A. —rye

6)  FYF went from selling tickets at dirt cheap prices, to having to implement payment plans for attendees. With the Drums on the bill, you can feel a little bit better about spending all that Money. —rye

7) Tobias Jesso Jr. will have a fantastic backup band that is definitely worth showing up early for. Check out “Crocodile Tears” live on KCRW –caitiebee

8) And you know that Bloc Party will put on a great show. –caitiebee

9)  While I cross my fingers for an overcast weekend, it’ll most likely be another sunny day for us to endure (and catch one of the best live acts ever, Belle & Sebastian). —rye

10) Laura Marling seems to just get better with age. Still loving that first single off her new album, “False Hope” –caitiebee

11)  It’ll be interesting to see what kind of set Badbadnotgood puts on. They seem just as likely to bring out Ghostface Killah for a few songs, as they are to put on an improvisational jazz set. Whatever they do, it’s bound to be a great experience. —rye

12)  And hopefully yours is just like heaven. —rye

spotify:user:gongbanter:playlist:71XZY2MY5TnZEo71x1SGdQ

Late Of The Priest

I’m very excited to share one of my new favorite Summer jams from the former front man of the now defunct electro-dance-punk outfit “Late Of The Pier.”  Since the release of their one and only full-length “Fantasy Black Channel”, I’ve been yearning for any sort of output from ANYONE in the group. We finally have it in the form of a psychedelic, electro-pop album from Sam Dust, now known as “LA Priest.”

After catching a set from Hot Chip at the Greek last week, I’m particularly digging his song “Learning To Love”, which feels like a woozier, lo-fi house cut that wouldn’t be out of place in a set from Alexis Taylor and friends.

Just lean a little bit closer…

Because these roses don’t smell anything like poo-poo-poo. I can tell you nothing about Sebastian Paul, beyond the fact that he shares a name with a polish techno DJ and a member of Parliament in India. But take a listen to the song “Roses” and you’ll know immediately that he isn’t either of those things.

It’s somewhere between the creepiest club quasi-bangers and the roughest R&B you’ll ever here. That might sound terrible to you, but for me it’s fascinating. You can check out the entire album The Messiah Complex here.  I wasn’t bored for a second.

Music to Accompany the Last Night of Freedom…

Planning a stag party? Buck’s Night? Hens Night? Or a good ol’ fashioned bachelor(ette) party to honor the bride or groom-to-be?  We’ve got you covered.  Just know that we can’t be held responsible for the activities that occur.

PS:  All Gongbanter playlists are now available to stream on Spotify!  We’ve included a link to stream this playlist below, which will lead you to the Gongbanter Spotify page.  Feel free to “follow” our profile to gain access to all playlists, past and future.  Cheers!

1.  Roll out big with your “Posse In Effect”, which should always include Adam Yauch, Adam Horovitz and Michael Diamond. —rye

2. Because we all love any excuse to pull all of our Friends together to drink too much and dance to Seven Davis Jr. —caitiebee

3.  If you end up at a particularly salacious venue, you can sing along with Ernie K-Doe to “Here Come The Girls”—rye

4.  Since tonight may be your last hurrah, it’s alright to Stare a little.  —rye

5. So grab a seat in the party bus or the strip club to hear all of our favorite guilty pleasures, like Rihanna’s  “Love in a Hopeless Place” — this is the Star Slinger Remix — caitiebee

6. And whether you are with the Bucks or the Hens, we all love Drunk Girls — caitiebee

7. We are dancing! Warm up those muscles before the twerking begins with “Doses and Mimosas” by Cherub — caitiebee

8.  Take it from Leonard Cohen on the uncharacteristically funky “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On” from “Death Of A Ladies Man.”  Phil Spector produces, Allen Ginsberg and Bob Dylan do back-up vocals. There’s a bachelor party I’d like to be a part of. —rye

9. And don’t forget why we are celebrating, these poor saps might be together forever. — caitiebee

10. Marriage is for Old Folks…but tonight you are young and tomorrow’s hangover won’t kill you yet. — caitiebee

11.  “I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight” – The Kinks. Hopefully you won’t have to worry! —rye