Music to Haunt the Town to…

Ahhh…the smell of pumpkins rotting in there air, there’s nothing like being home for the Halloween holiday. And the dreadful night falls on a Saturday this year, brace yourselves for the hangover (be it from the libations or a Skittles binge).

Here is a soundtrack for all you Ghouls, Goblins, Pirates, Overgrown Minions, Sexy Minions, Sexy Seductress Popes, Donald Trumps and Teeny-Tiny TAFNAPs. Be safe out there.

1)  Let’s get in the mood for All Hallow’s Eve with the noirish dread of Daughn Gibson’s “All Hell” –rye

2)  You might remember my obsession with creepy blues music from our last Halloween playlist…it hasn’t ended. Here’s “Devil Got My Woman” by Skip James –caitiebee

3)  While I usually turn to the Misfits for my Halloween/monster movie kitsch fix, why not let Sparks do it with this lesser known number “I Married A Martian” –rye

4)  It’s frightening that Lydia Lunch’s “Spooky” doesn’t have a place right next to the “Monster Mash” on all Halloween Mega-Hit compilations –caitiebee

5)  “You Must Be A Witch” by The Lollipop Shoppe is right up there with the finest campy, 60s Halloween Garage nuggets. Just make sure you don’t associate with any real witches this year  –rye

5)  And watch out for Ghosts in the Trees by Thee Oh Sees –caitiebee

6) …as well as the ghost in your house. Remember, on Halloween you’re never safe! PS: Maybe you know the Motown version, but I prefer the prolific Mark E. Smith and The Fall’s take on “There’s A Ghost In My House” –rye

7)  Want to do something really scary? Start to google “Will We Survive?” and see all of the frightful reasons why the internet thinks a zombie apocalypse is near. Or just listen to Swans and remember that it could have already started… –caitiebee

8)  Or freak yourself out with Laurie Anderson’s “The Day The Devil.” for when the Devil comes to a town near you –rye

9)  Always wait until it’s DARK ENOUGH to trick or treat, nothing haunted comes out in broad daylight, listen to HEALTH while you wait –caitiebee

10)  When you’re finally out and about, throw on “Freaking Out The Neighborhood“–  A favorite past time of this time of year (making your loved ones concerned about you, that is) —rye

12)  Anddd the song that terrifies me the absolute most that I still want to listen on repeat always and forever IxC999 by White Ring –caitiebee

Utmost Agreeable

Check out Roosevelt. If you like this song, you’ll like all of their songs. Easy as pie!

This Year’s Savage

Shilpa Ray pumps a mean, fuzzy harmonium live and sounds like Sharon Von Etten gargled glass and smoked six packs of cigarettes. I fell in love with her watching her open for Man Man and hope I can help you do the same. My favorite song from her new album “Last Year’s Savage” satirizes the idea of romanticizing a death wish, and with a titular reference to New York Dolls guitarist Johnny Thunders, warns that it rocks hard. Take a listen to “Johnny Thunders Fantasy Space Camp”:

New Eyes

At the moment, I only have eyes for Greek multi-instrumentalist Larry Gus and his inventive psychedelic pop release “I Need New Eyes.”  There’s a lot of interesting things happening on this record, and while I find it difficult to pick a single song to share (“Black Veil of Fail” is unlike anything I’ve heard in a while), I have to go with “A Set Of Replies”– a poignant but catchy song that captures the coldness I sometimes feel in this age of automated responses and rehearsed answers.

Larry Gus shares a stage with YACHT this Thursday at the Teragram Ballroom in LA. Don’t doze!

Hammered

In anticipation of the weekend, here’s a song I can’t get enough of from Richard In Your Mind, a fantastic psychedelic pop group straight outta Sydney.  I’ve become a recent disciple of their label “Rice Is Nice”, and plan to explore its wondrous catalog while I day-drink the weekend away.  Cheers!