I’ve got a lot to be thankful for. I’m thankful that you are reading this right now. I’m thankful for my health. On that note, I’m thankful for red wine. I’m thankful that Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” is almost out of my head.
But at the moment, I’m most thankful for Thanksgiving—the understated hero of the holiday season. A time where we gather around the table with a shared goal…to eat everything in sight.
In gratitude, we’ve got some tunes to keep your holiday moving—even after you pass out on the couch.
1. Trust me on this one, especially if you live a bit farther from your family than most—play “Coming Home” by Leon Bridges on your car ride over and let the nostalgia flow. –caitiebee
2. Thanksgiving is often about coming together, but can sometimes feel like it can erupt into a feud at any moment. So here’s one for the families who put the “fun” in dysfunctional! “Shame & Scandal” – Shawn Elliott –rye
3. Don’t you forget why we are all here together—nursing our hangovers and chopping carrots—the great pilgrimage of the Mayflower. Your aunt likes R.E.M too right? –caitiebee
4. Pass The Hatchet – Roger & The Gypsies Blood is inevitably shed when it comes time to carve the bird, especially after one consumes massive amounts of wheat beer before using a knife. –rye
5. Keep the funk running with Madlib’s “Cornucopia” if you haven’t succumbed to a food coma –rye
6. It’s all about “Maximum Consumption“—so don’t think that you can step on the court without a warm up…say YES to an eggs and bacon breakfast first. The Kinks know what we’re talking about. –caitiebee
7. Buckle up for a tour de “Mashed Potato, USA” with James Brown — caitiebee
8. Cranberry – The Ruby Suns – Do you pine for Cranberry sauce and hazy psychedelic tropi-synth-pop like me? –rye
9. Don’t forget to eat your vegetables, because like Frank Zappa says, “they keep you regular; they’re real good for ya.” Go ahead, “Call Any Vegetable“. –caitiebee
10. The national turkey pardon is a strange and primitive tradition that continues to occur every year, even as the president admits it to be a “puzzling” ritual. John Lydon wails about the fear of change in “The Pardon“- a highlight from Public Image Ltd’s “This Is What You Want… This Is What You Get” –rye
11. Big Star – Thank You Friends One of the many things we’re grateful for? Our friends! And you. So THANK YOU! –rye
12. And THANK YOU AGAIN! I just wanna “Thank You” again, with some Nathaniel Rateliff –caitiebee
You made it! Let’s celebrate…
Need help getting through the end of Monday? Let us help! (and it’s available for free download via soundcloud)
As all of tomorrow’s parties approach, I like to put on music from one of my new favorite singer-songwriters/avant gardeners, Courtney Barnett. The song I’m sharing today perfectly captures the recurring conflict between my outgoing nature and overly-anxious state of mind (basically how I feel every weekend). When I can’t decide whether to go out or not, this song is a nice reminder: nobody really cares if you don’t go to the party. Happy Friday!