Music to Carve The Turkey to…

I’ve got a lot to be thankful for. I’m thankful that you are reading this right now. I’m thankful for my health. On that note, I’m thankful for red wine. I’m thankful that Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” is almost out of my head.

But at the moment, I’m most thankful for Thanksgiving—the understated hero of the holiday season. A time where we gather around the table with a shared goal…to eat everything in sight.

In gratitude, we’ve got some tunes to keep your holiday moving—even after you pass out on the couch.

1.  Trust me on this one, especially if you live a bit farther from your family than most—play “Coming Home” by Leon Bridges  on your car ride over and let the nostalgia flow. –caitiebee

2.  Thanksgiving is often about coming together, but can sometimes feel like it can erupt into a feud at any moment. So here’s one for the families who put the “fun” in dysfunctional!  “Shame & Scandal” – Shawn Elliott –rye

3. Don’t you forget why we are all here together—nursing our hangovers and chopping carrots—the great pilgrimage of the Mayflower. Your aunt likes R.E.M too right? –caitiebee

4.  Pass The Hatchet – Roger & The Gypsies Blood is inevitably shed when it comes time to carve the bird, especially after one consumes massive amounts of wheat beer before using a knife. –rye

5. Keep the funk running with Madlib’s “Cornucopia” if you haven’t succumbed to a food coma –rye

6. It’s all about “Maximum Consumption“—so don’t think that you can step on the court without a warm up…say YES to an eggs and bacon breakfast first. The Kinks know what we’re talking about. –caitiebee

7. Buckle up for a tour de “Mashed Potato, USA” with James Brown — caitiebee

8. Cranberry – The Ruby Suns – Do you pine for Cranberry sauce and hazy psychedelic tropi-synth-pop like me? –rye

9. Don’t forget to eat your vegetables, because like Frank Zappa says, “they keep you regular; they’re real good for ya.” Go ahead, “Call Any Vegetable“.  –caitiebee

10. The national turkey pardon is a strange and primitive tradition that continues to occur every year, even as the president admits it to be a “puzzling” ritual. John Lydon wails about the fear of change in “The Pardon“- a highlight from Public Image Ltd’s “This Is What You Want… This Is What You Get” –rye

11.  Big Star – Thank You Friends One of the many things we’re grateful for? Our friends! And you. So THANK YOU! –rye

12. And THANK YOU AGAIN! I just wanna “Thank You” again, with some Nathaniel Rateliff –caitiebee

Happy Friday World!

You made it! Let’s celebrate…

Music to Trot the Best Coast to…

We often take for granted the beautiful city we live in, so today we’d like to pay homage to The Big Orange a/k/a Shaky Town a/k/a Los Angeles the only way we know how— through song(s)!  So whether you’re visiting for the first time or exploring the “depth beneath the shallow“, throw on this mix of tunes about the best city on the best coast.

1. Like us, Murs takes pride in Southern California roots, but knows that “a lot of out-of-towners can’t handle this city.” —rye

2. And when People Under The Stairs spread the love for their city in “The LA Song”, they also made my favorite freeway reference ever, “At the shows with the flows and they think the crowds groovin / Its like the 405 at 5:30 nobodys movin.” –caitiebee

3.  On the Cold War Kids’ “Santa Ana Winds”, Nathan Willet sings: “Seatbelt sticks in the poison heat / My pores are opening” — all too common occurences living in this sweaty, sticky city —rye

4. Los Angeles is an inherently lonely place…we live miles apart, drive in cars alone, nobody walks the streets…but sit back, bask in your personal time, and enjoy Flying Lotus’ “…And The World Laughs With You” –caitiebee

5.  Here’s a gem from the fantastic “Little Darla Has A Treat For You” compilation series: Acres Of Fakers by Land Of Ill Earthquakes. Or, Southern California in a nutshell —rye

6.  I just have to include the beautiful ode to my hometown “San Fernando Valley” from Mel Torme’s California Suite —rye

7. My favorite Los Angeles Anthem: Kendrick Lamar’s “The Recipe” – especially this Black Hippy remix –caitiebee

8.  Not an ode, but more of a poignant story with a reference to one of the best coast’s best beaches. Also one of my favorite Patti Smith songs. “Redondo Beach.” —rye

9. And we’re always Mellow Yellow –caitiebee

10. There is truly nothing more L.A. than Los Lobos, here’s “Saint Behind the Glass” –caitiebee

11.  The wonderfully irreverent Camper Van Beethoven have to know, “aren’t y’all cowboys from Hollywood??” —rye

12. And you better bet we are thinking about quakes and  Fire Fire Fire all of the time, this tune is by Ebenezar Calendar –caitiebee

13. Que Onda Guero, a donde vayas? This will make you love LA: envision little Beck wandering the streets of East LA. –caitiebee

14.  BONUS: Addison Groove: “Fuk Tha 101”—  If you haven’t uttered these words at least once, then you’re either mute, or haven’t lived in LA . —rye

Jacy

Need help getting through the end of Monday? Let us help! (and it’s available for free download via soundcloud)

I Wanna Go Out But I Wanna Stay Home

As all of tomorrow’s parties approach, I like to put on music from one of my new favorite singer-songwriters/avant gardeners, Courtney Barnett.  The song I’m sharing today perfectly captures the recurring conflict between my outgoing nature and overly-anxious state of mind (basically how I feel every weekend).  When I can’t decide whether to go out or not, this song is a nice reminder: nobody really cares if you don’t go to the party. Happy Friday!