Music to Trot the Best Coast to…

We often take for granted the beautiful city we live in, so today we’d like to pay homage to The Big Orange a/k/a Shaky Town a/k/a Los Angeles the only way we know how— through song(s)!  So whether you’re visiting for the first time or exploring the “depth beneath the shallow“, throw on this mix of tunes about the best city on the best coast.

1. Like us, Murs takes pride in Southern California roots, but knows that “a lot of out-of-towners can’t handle this city.” —rye

2. And when People Under The Stairs spread the love for their city in “The LA Song”, they also made my favorite freeway reference ever, “At the shows with the flows and they think the crowds groovin / Its like the 405 at 5:30 nobodys movin.” –caitiebee

3.  On the Cold War Kids’ “Santa Ana Winds”, Nathan Willet sings: “Seatbelt sticks in the poison heat / My pores are opening” — all too common occurences living in this sweaty, sticky city —rye

4. Los Angeles is an inherently lonely place…we live miles apart, drive in cars alone, nobody walks the streets…but sit back, bask in your personal time, and enjoy Flying Lotus’ “…And The World Laughs With You” –caitiebee

5.  Here’s a gem from the fantastic “Little Darla Has A Treat For You” compilation series: Acres Of Fakers by Land Of Ill Earthquakes. Or, Southern California in a nutshell —rye

6.  I just have to include the beautiful ode to my hometown “San Fernando Valley” from Mel Torme’s California Suite —rye

7. My favorite Los Angeles Anthem: Kendrick Lamar’s “The Recipe” – especially this Black Hippy remix –caitiebee

8.  Not an ode, but more of a poignant story with a reference to one of the best coast’s best beaches. Also one of my favorite Patti Smith songs. “Redondo Beach.” —rye

9. And we’re always Mellow Yellow –caitiebee

10. There is truly nothing more L.A. than Los Lobos, here’s “Saint Behind the Glass” –caitiebee

11.  The wonderfully irreverent Camper Van Beethoven have to know, “aren’t y’all cowboys from Hollywood??” —rye

12. And you better bet we are thinking about quakes and  Fire Fire Fire all of the time, this tune is by Ebenezar Calendar –caitiebee

13. Que Onda Guero, a donde vayas? This will make you love LA: envision little Beck wandering the streets of East LA. –caitiebee

14.  BONUS: Addison Groove: “Fuk Tha 101”—  If you haven’t uttered these words at least once, then you’re either mute, or haven’t lived in LA . —rye