Gongbanter Picks of 2015

Happy New Year! Before you dawn your party dress and chug champagne, take a moment to reflect with us.

caitiebee faves:

1) Young Fathers – White Men Are Black Men Too

2) Shamir – Rachet

3) Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love

4) Thundercat – The Beyond / Where The Giants Roam

5) Donnie Trumpet and The Social Experiment – Surf

6) Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

7) Seven Davis Jr. – Universes

8) Empress Of – Me

9) Algiers – Algiers

10) Mbongwana Star -From Kinshasa

rye’s faves:

1) Grimes – Art Angels

2) Tame Impala – Currents

3) Ezra Furman – Perpetual Motion People

4) Kurt Vile – b’lieve i’m goin down

5) Algiers – Algiers

6)  Larry Gus – I Need New Eyes

7) Earl Sweatshirt – I Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside

8) DJ Koze – DJ Kicks

9) Longmont Potion Castle – 12

10) Destroyer – Poison Season

A Very Gongbanter Christmas…

Despite your religious affiliation, Christmas music is unavoidable if you engage with any kind of media, or enter any retail store this time of year (even if you spend Christmas eating Chinese food and watching Daily Show reruns).  So for those who’ve grown tired of Brenda Lee and Mariah Carey, consider this playlist of Holiday-themed tunes.  Wishing you all a happy holiday and wondrous New Year!

1.  Binky Griptite – Stone Soul Christmas
2.  Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Big Bulbs
3.  Tom Waits – Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
4.  Freddie McGregor – O Come All Ye Faithful
5.  Dengue Fever – Little Drummer Boy
6.  Yellowman – Santa Claus Never Comes to the Ghetto
7.  Tracey Thorn – In The Cold, Cold Night
8.  The Bird And The Bee – A Christmas Compromise
9.  Low – Just Like Christmas
10.  Augie Rios – Donde Esta Santa Claus
11.  The Everly Brothers – Christmas Eve Can Kill You
12.  Booker T & the MG’s – Jingle Bells
13.  Butterbean & Susie – Papa Ain’t No Santa Claus (Mama Ain’t No Christmas Tree)
14.  Poly Styrene – Black Christmas

Ripe 4 Guv

Apparently, it’s Cuffing Season! To commemorate this time of year, during which single people develop an increased desire to be in a relationship due to the cold weather that keeps them indoors, enjoy the warm “Ripe 4 Luv” from Young Guv aka Ben Cook.