A Very Gongbanter Christmas…

Despite your religious affiliation, Christmas music is unavoidable if you engage with any kind of media, or enter any retail store this time of year (even if you spend Christmas eating Chinese food and watching Daily Show reruns).  So for those who’ve grown tired of Brenda Lee and Mariah Carey, consider this playlist of Holiday-themed tunes.  Wishing you all a happy holiday and wondrous New Year!

1.  Binky Griptite – Stone Soul Christmas
2.  Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Big Bulbs
3.  Tom Waits – Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
4.  Freddie McGregor – O Come All Ye Faithful
5.  Dengue Fever – Little Drummer Boy
6.  Yellowman – Santa Claus Never Comes to the Ghetto
7.  Tracey Thorn – In The Cold, Cold Night
8.  The Bird And The Bee – A Christmas Compromise
9.  Low – Just Like Christmas
10.  Augie Rios – Donde Esta Santa Claus
11.  The Everly Brothers – Christmas Eve Can Kill You
12.  Booker T & the MG’s – Jingle Bells
13.  Butterbean & Susie – Papa Ain’t No Santa Claus (Mama Ain’t No Christmas Tree)
14.  Poly Styrene – Black Christmas

Ripe 4 Guv

Apparently, it’s Cuffing Season! To commemorate this time of year, during which single people develop an increased desire to be in a relationship due to the cold weather that keeps them indoors, enjoy the warm “Ripe 4 Luv” from Young Guv aka Ben Cook.

Music to Trot the Best Coast to…

We often take for granted the beautiful city we live in, so today we’d like to pay homage to The Big Orange a/k/a Shaky Town a/k/a Los Angeles the only way we know how— through song(s)!  So whether you’re visiting for the first time or exploring the “depth beneath the shallow“, throw on this mix of tunes about the best city on the best coast.

1. Like us, Murs takes pride in Southern California roots, but knows that “a lot of out-of-towners can’t handle this city.” —rye

2. And when People Under The Stairs spread the love for their city in “The LA Song”, they also made my favorite freeway reference ever, “At the shows with the flows and they think the crowds groovin / Its like the 405 at 5:30 nobodys movin.” –caitiebee

3.  On the Cold War Kids’ “Santa Ana Winds”, Nathan Willet sings: “Seatbelt sticks in the poison heat / My pores are opening” — all too common occurences living in this sweaty, sticky city —rye

4. Los Angeles is an inherently lonely place…we live miles apart, drive in cars alone, nobody walks the streets…but sit back, bask in your personal time, and enjoy Flying Lotus’ “…And The World Laughs With You” –caitiebee

5.  Here’s a gem from the fantastic “Little Darla Has A Treat For You” compilation series: Acres Of Fakers by Land Of Ill Earthquakes. Or, Southern California in a nutshell —rye

6.  I just have to include the beautiful ode to my hometown “San Fernando Valley” from Mel Torme’s California Suite —rye

7. My favorite Los Angeles Anthem: Kendrick Lamar’s “The Recipe” – especially this Black Hippy remix –caitiebee

8.  Not an ode, but more of a poignant story with a reference to one of the best coast’s best beaches. Also one of my favorite Patti Smith songs. “Redondo Beach.” —rye

9. And we’re always Mellow Yellow –caitiebee

10. There is truly nothing more L.A. than Los Lobos, here’s “Saint Behind the Glass” –caitiebee

11.  The wonderfully irreverent Camper Van Beethoven have to know, “aren’t y’all cowboys from Hollywood??” —rye

12. And you better bet we are thinking about quakes and  Fire Fire Fire all of the time, this tune is by Ebenezar Calendar –caitiebee

13. Que Onda Guero, a donde vayas? This will make you love LA: envision little Beck wandering the streets of East LA. –caitiebee

14.  BONUS: Addison Groove: “Fuk Tha 101”—  If you haven’t uttered these words at least once, then you’re either mute, or haven’t lived in LA . —rye

I Wanna Go Out But I Wanna Stay Home

As all of tomorrow’s parties approach, I like to put on music from one of my new favorite singer-songwriters/avant gardeners, Courtney Barnett.  The song I’m sharing today perfectly captures the recurring conflict between my outgoing nature and overly-anxious state of mind (basically how I feel every weekend).  When I can’t decide whether to go out or not, this song is a nice reminder: nobody really cares if you don’t go to the party. Happy Friday!

This Year’s Savage

Shilpa Ray pumps a mean, fuzzy harmonium live and sounds like Sharon Von Etten gargled glass and smoked six packs of cigarettes. I fell in love with her watching her open for Man Man and hope I can help you do the same. My favorite song from her new album “Last Year’s Savage” satirizes the idea of romanticizing a death wish, and with a titular reference to New York Dolls guitarist Johnny Thunders, warns that it rocks hard. Take a listen to “Johnny Thunders Fantasy Space Camp”:

New Eyes

At the moment, I only have eyes for Greek multi-instrumentalist Larry Gus and his inventive psychedelic pop release “I Need New Eyes.”  There’s a lot of interesting things happening on this record, and while I find it difficult to pick a single song to share (“Black Veil of Fail” is unlike anything I’ve heard in a while), I have to go with “A Set Of Replies”– a poignant but catchy song that captures the coldness I sometimes feel in this age of automated responses and rehearsed answers.

Larry Gus shares a stage with YACHT this Thursday at the Teragram Ballroom in LA. Don’t doze!

Hammered

In anticipation of the weekend, here’s a song I can’t get enough of from Richard In Your Mind, a fantastic psychedelic pop group straight outta Sydney.  I’ve become a recent disciple of their label “Rice Is Nice”, and plan to explore its wondrous catalog while I day-drink the weekend away.  Cheers!