Music to Haunt the Town to…

Ahhh…the smell of pumpkins rotting in there air, there’s nothing like being home for the Halloween holiday. And the dreadful night falls on a Saturday this year, brace yourselves for the hangover (be it from the libations or a Skittles binge).

Here is a soundtrack for all you Ghouls, Goblins, Pirates, Overgrown Minions, Sexy Minions, Sexy Seductress Popes, Donald Trumps and Teeny-Tiny TAFNAPs. Be safe out there.

1)  Let’s get in the mood for All Hallow’s Eve with the noirish dread of Daughn Gibson’s “All Hell” –rye

2)  You might remember my obsession with creepy blues music from our last Halloween playlist…it hasn’t ended. Here’s “Devil Got My Woman” by Skip James –caitiebee

3)  While I usually turn to the Misfits for my Halloween/monster movie kitsch fix, why not let Sparks do it with this lesser known number “I Married A Martian” –rye

4)  It’s frightening that Lydia Lunch’s “Spooky” doesn’t have a place right next to the “Monster Mash” on all Halloween Mega-Hit compilations –caitiebee

5)  “You Must Be A Witch” by The Lollipop Shoppe is right up there with the finest campy, 60s Halloween Garage nuggets. Just make sure you don’t associate with any real witches this year  –rye

5)  And watch out for Ghosts in the Trees by Thee Oh Sees –caitiebee

6) …as well as the ghost in your house. Remember, on Halloween you’re never safe! PS: Maybe you know the Motown version, but I prefer the prolific Mark E. Smith and The Fall’s take on “There’s A Ghost In My House” –rye

7)  Want to do something really scary? Start to google “Will We Survive?” and see all of the frightful reasons why the internet thinks a zombie apocalypse is near. Or just listen to Swans and remember that it could have already started… –caitiebee

8)  Or freak yourself out with Laurie Anderson’s “The Day The Devil.” for when the Devil comes to a town near you –rye

9)  Always wait until it’s DARK ENOUGH to trick or treat, nothing haunted comes out in broad daylight, listen to HEALTH while you wait –caitiebee

10)  When you’re finally out and about, throw on “Freaking Out The Neighborhood“–  A favorite past time of this time of year (making your loved ones concerned about you, that is) —rye

12)  Anddd the song that terrifies me the absolute most that I still want to listen on repeat always and forever IxC999 by White Ring –caitiebee

Music To Dive In To…

Just because the farmer’s almanac says that summer has ended doesn’t mean you shouldn’t continue to jump into every swimming pool/lake/moat you come across, especially if you live in the constant sauna that is Los Angeles. So keep on keepin’ cool this weekend! And while we won’t warn you about the perils of swimming too soon after eating, we will advise you to have a playlist ready for when you find yourself in or around a pool.

1.  So let’s jump in with Little Ray’s “Come And Swim With Me” –rye

2. Even when you are sitting at work, we all just want to be able to “Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark)” all day. Here’s Unknown Mortal Orchestra. –caitiebee

3.  When the city becomes too hot, a nice dip with the Owiny Sigma Band can help –rye

4. This song by the Jacuzzi Boys has all the capricious energy of a pool party and makes me regret missing their set on the infamous Bruise Cruise. –rye

5. My sister says that Major Lazer’s “Playground” transports her to a raunchy pool party in the tropics, and she is definitely right. –caitiebee

6.  If you haven’t caught wind of 10,000 Emeral Pools from BORNS, listening to it makes it feel like you’re wading in a sangria-filled aquarium with your significant other. –rye

7. And California definitly knows how to pool party, like noMBe says in “California Girls” — “Ooh, how I like the smell of West Coast pheromones” –caitiebee

8. Mostly we are all just waiting for that right mood to just make us dive right in , Guts can help with “And the Livin’ is Easy” –caitiebee

9.  Really digging the new record from Shaun Fleming aka Diane Coffee. Throw on “Down With The Current” when you’re by the water –rye

10. Cool you insides too with the Talking Heads and a “Popsicle” –caitiebee

11.  Make time for some Skinny Dipping with WhoMadeWho –rye

12. Now for some beachy-vibes with Ghanaian roots by way of Brooklyn, Blitz and the Ambassador with “Akwaaba” –caitiebee

13. Unless you are in a wetsuit, we know you’ll be showing some FLESH. –caitiebee

14.  And whatever you do, try not to get the Swimming Pool Blues. –rye

FYF 2015!

Ryan and I have attended FYF since it was Fuck Yeah Fest. Back then you had to wait in a line for hours and there was no water for purchase…though last year seemed like time warp…

Granted each year we come back wheezing and sore, and it’s always a grand old time.

Though I won’t be in attendance this year, I will definitely be there in spirit. And don’t worry, Ryan will be there–look for the one moshing to Death Grips, inhaler in hand.

1) Rejoice! Because it’s that time of year again, but this time Andrew Jackson Jihad made it out of their DIY living room and garage stages to celebrate with you. –caitiebee

2)  As usual, we anticipate a beautiful disaster— one in which stellar curation and performance meet piss-poor planning and organization. Essentially, our masochistic relationship with this festival continues, and I have no doubt it will once again drive me crazy. At least catching Kaytranada will be fun. —rye

3) I’ve sadly never seen Thee Oh Sees perform before, but they will always be a favorite. Check them out and report back please. Prep with “I Can’t Get No” –caitiebee

4) Go see Purity Ring, mostly because of this handmade light-up drum contraption –caitiebee

5)  While things have gotten better, I can’t help but recall the days when FYF turned into a dirt storm and ran out of water while the sun was still up (as Caitlin referenced earlier).  So strap on your surgical masks and orthopedic shoes for Lower Dens, and hope you don’t die in L.A. —rye

6)  FYF went from selling tickets at dirt cheap prices, to having to implement payment plans for attendees. With the Drums on the bill, you can feel a little bit better about spending all that Money. —rye

7) Tobias Jesso Jr. will have a fantastic backup band that is definitely worth showing up early for. Check out “Crocodile Tears” live on KCRW –caitiebee

8) And you know that Bloc Party will put on a great show. –caitiebee

9)  While I cross my fingers for an overcast weekend, it’ll most likely be another sunny day for us to endure (and catch one of the best live acts ever, Belle & Sebastian). —rye

10) Laura Marling seems to just get better with age. Still loving that first single off her new album, “False Hope” –caitiebee

11)  It’ll be interesting to see what kind of set Badbadnotgood puts on. They seem just as likely to bring out Ghostface Killah for a few songs, as they are to put on an improvisational jazz set. Whatever they do, it’s bound to be a great experience. —rye

12)  And hopefully yours is just like heaven. —rye

spotify:user:gongbanter:playlist:71XZY2MY5TnZEo71x1SGdQ

Music to Accompany the Last Night of Freedom…

Planning a stag party? Buck’s Night? Hens Night? Or a good ol’ fashioned bachelor(ette) party to honor the bride or groom-to-be?  We’ve got you covered.  Just know that we can’t be held responsible for the activities that occur.

PS:  All Gongbanter playlists are now available to stream on Spotify!  We’ve included a link to stream this playlist below, which will lead you to the Gongbanter Spotify page.  Feel free to “follow” our profile to gain access to all playlists, past and future.  Cheers!

1.  Roll out big with your “Posse In Effect”, which should always include Adam Yauch, Adam Horovitz and Michael Diamond. —rye

2. Because we all love any excuse to pull all of our Friends together to drink too much and dance to Seven Davis Jr. —caitiebee

3.  If you end up at a particularly salacious venue, you can sing along with Ernie K-Doe to “Here Come The Girls”—rye

4.  Since tonight may be your last hurrah, it’s alright to Stare a little.  —rye

5. So grab a seat in the party bus or the strip club to hear all of our favorite guilty pleasures, like Rihanna’s  “Love in a Hopeless Place” — this is the Star Slinger Remix — caitiebee

6. And whether you are with the Bucks or the Hens, we all love Drunk Girls — caitiebee

7. We are dancing! Warm up those muscles before the twerking begins with “Doses and Mimosas” by Cherub — caitiebee

8.  Take it from Leonard Cohen on the uncharacteristically funky “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On” from “Death Of A Ladies Man.”  Phil Spector produces, Allen Ginsberg and Bob Dylan do back-up vocals. There’s a bachelor party I’d like to be a part of. —rye

9. And don’t forget why we are celebrating, these poor saps might be together forever. — caitiebee

10. Marriage is for Old Folks…but tonight you are young and tomorrow’s hangover won’t kill you yet. — caitiebee

11.  “I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight” – The Kinks. Hopefully you won’t have to worry! —rye

Music to Trot the Globe to…

Somehow we’ve found ourselves halfway though summer 2015.

I hope that some of you have had the chance to vacate your desk for more than a long lunch break to catch some well deserved and muy importante vacay time. And perhaps a few of you are gearing up to take off soon. Whether you’re headed to Paris, France or Paris, Texas, we’ve got some tunes to guide you on your journey.

1) We all need a trip, don’t we? Get ready with Vacationer –caitiebee

2)  Dengue Fever’s “Tiger Phone Card”, a call-and-response duet that beautifully chronicles the tribulations of a long-distance relationship, is a great travel companion for an Ambien-fueld flight across the globe to visit a significant other. —rye

3)  Speaking of Ambien-fueled plane rides, this cut from James Pants emulates the blissful experience of gazing over the ocean from the cabin window once your substance-of-choice kicks in. —rye

4) I’ve never met a city I couldn’t get lost in, loving this new cover of Frank Ocean’s “Lost” by Major Lazer and MØ –caitiebee

5) Have you ever taken a night boat? I did once, from Italy to Greece, let’s just say that there were pet chickens roaming around the top deck and a few people who may or may not have been gypsies. Madness knows the madness in “Night Boat to Cairo” (Make sure you watch this video!) –caitiebee

6)  If ridesharing is your preferred means of travel (like John Waters), ask your driver to throw on Marvin Gaye’s “Hitch Hike.” —rye

7) You might just meet someone to sing along to Elastica’s “Car Song” with… –rye

8) My preferred method of travel will always be walking, putting my own footprints all over a foreign land. A Tribe Called Quest knows what I’m talking about, not to mention that Stevie Wonder sample will always brighten my day. –caitiebee

9)  You’re bound to need a taxi/uber/pedicab/chariot at some point no matter where you end up. Let Bobby Benson’s “Taxi Driver (I Don’t Care)” tag along—rye

10) Culture clashes are inevitable, but sometimes they can be so beautiful. Like that one time that Laura Marling and Mumford & Sons toured India, met the Dharohar Project and made some pretty great music. Check out “Devil’s Spoke: Sneh Ko Marg” –caitiebee

11)  The Box Tops – The Letter: A classic about about the urgency of needing to see your lover. RIP Wayne Carson, one of the song’s writers who passed earlier this week.  —rye