Because it’s Saturday night…

…and the feeling’s right, let’s take a listen to a badass DJ and producer. La Fleur currently hails from Berlin by way of Sweden and is about to embark on her third year as resident DJ at the world famous Watergate night club. Her future in the techno capital of the world was realized in pharmaceutical school of all places- “a pharmacist who found alchemy in creative control,” as Sanna La Fleur herself so aptly puts it.

Fingers crossed many more ladies follow her lead and make their way into the electronic music scene. STAT.

Changes

Black Sabbath’s “Changes”, a uncharacteristically heartfelt piano ballad, surprised many fans at the time of its release in 1972.

Though even more surprising may be Charles Bradley’s choice to cover the song for his upcoming album “Changes.”  The soulful crooner takes the song to soaring new heights, which you can hear below.

All Your Favorite Bands

Now that 2016 is officially underway, we hope the best for you. And most importantly, may all your favorite bands stay together!

Gongbanter Picks of 2015

Happy New Year! Before you dawn your party dress and chug champagne, take a moment to reflect with us.

caitiebee faves:

1) Young Fathers – White Men Are Black Men Too

2) Shamir – Rachet

3) Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love

4) Thundercat – The Beyond / Where The Giants Roam

5) Donnie Trumpet and The Social Experiment – Surf

6) Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

7) Seven Davis Jr. – Universes

8) Empress Of – Me

9) Algiers – Algiers

10) Mbongwana Star -From Kinshasa

rye’s faves:

1) Grimes – Art Angels

2) Tame Impala – Currents

3) Ezra Furman – Perpetual Motion People

4) Kurt Vile – b’lieve i’m goin down

5) Algiers – Algiers

6)  Larry Gus – I Need New Eyes

7) Earl Sweatshirt – I Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside

8) DJ Koze – DJ Kicks

9) Longmont Potion Castle – 12

10) Destroyer – Poison Season

A Very Gongbanter Christmas…

Despite your religious affiliation, Christmas music is unavoidable if you engage with any kind of media, or enter any retail store this time of year (even if you spend Christmas eating Chinese food and watching Daily Show reruns).  So for those who’ve grown tired of Brenda Lee and Mariah Carey, consider this playlist of Holiday-themed tunes.  Wishing you all a happy holiday and wondrous New Year!

1.  Binky Griptite – Stone Soul Christmas
2.  Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Big Bulbs
3.  Tom Waits – Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
4.  Freddie McGregor – O Come All Ye Faithful
5.  Dengue Fever – Little Drummer Boy
6.  Yellowman – Santa Claus Never Comes to the Ghetto
7.  Tracey Thorn – In The Cold, Cold Night
8.  The Bird And The Bee – A Christmas Compromise
9.  Low – Just Like Christmas
10.  Augie Rios – Donde Esta Santa Claus
11.  The Everly Brothers – Christmas Eve Can Kill You
12.  Booker T & the MG’s – Jingle Bells
13.  Butterbean & Susie – Papa Ain’t No Santa Claus (Mama Ain’t No Christmas Tree)
14.  Poly Styrene – Black Christmas

Ripe 4 Guv

Apparently, it’s Cuffing Season! To commemorate this time of year, during which single people develop an increased desire to be in a relationship due to the cold weather that keeps them indoors, enjoy the warm “Ripe 4 Luv” from Young Guv aka Ben Cook.

Music to Carve The Turkey to…

I’ve got a lot to be thankful for. I’m thankful that you are reading this right now. I’m thankful for my health. On that note, I’m thankful for red wine. I’m thankful that Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” is almost out of my head.

But at the moment, I’m most thankful for Thanksgiving—the understated hero of the holiday season. A time where we gather around the table with a shared goal…to eat everything in sight.

In gratitude, we’ve got some tunes to keep your holiday moving—even after you pass out on the couch.

1.  Trust me on this one, especially if you live a bit farther from your family than most—play “Coming Home” by Leon Bridges  on your car ride over and let the nostalgia flow. –caitiebee

2.  Thanksgiving is often about coming together, but can sometimes feel like it can erupt into a feud at any moment. So here’s one for the families who put the “fun” in dysfunctional!  “Shame & Scandal” – Shawn Elliott –rye

3. Don’t you forget why we are all here together—nursing our hangovers and chopping carrots—the great pilgrimage of the Mayflower. Your aunt likes R.E.M too right? –caitiebee

4.  Pass The Hatchet – Roger & The Gypsies Blood is inevitably shed when it comes time to carve the bird, especially after one consumes massive amounts of wheat beer before using a knife. –rye

5. Keep the funk running with Madlib’s “Cornucopia” if you haven’t succumbed to a food coma –rye

6. It’s all about “Maximum Consumption“—so don’t think that you can step on the court without a warm up…say YES to an eggs and bacon breakfast first. The Kinks know what we’re talking about. –caitiebee

7. Buckle up for a tour de “Mashed Potato, USA” with James Brown — caitiebee

8. Cranberry – The Ruby Suns – Do you pine for Cranberry sauce and hazy psychedelic tropi-synth-pop like me? –rye

9. Don’t forget to eat your vegetables, because like Frank Zappa says, “they keep you regular; they’re real good for ya.” Go ahead, “Call Any Vegetable“.  –caitiebee

10. The national turkey pardon is a strange and primitive tradition that continues to occur every year, even as the president admits it to be a “puzzling” ritual. John Lydon wails about the fear of change in “The Pardon“- a highlight from Public Image Ltd’s “This Is What You Want… This Is What You Get” –rye

11.  Big Star – Thank You Friends One of the many things we’re grateful for? Our friends! And you. So THANK YOU! –rye

12. And THANK YOU AGAIN! I just wanna “Thank You” again, with some Nathaniel Rateliff –caitiebee