Moving to a new place is an exciting but tedious chore wrought with difficult choices and compromises. Do I have enough room to bring both my McDonald’s life-size Grimace plush doll AND my NordicTrack Pro Skier Ski Machine? And will the new neighbors below me be as cool with my early morning medicine ball throw down exercises as my last? Settle in with some handpicked tunes to aid you in your transition.
1. Millie Jackson – House For Sale –rye
2. Andreya Triana – Clutterbug –caitiebee
3. David Bowie – Move On –rye
4. Rahsaan Roland Kirk – Volunteered Slavery –caitiebee
5. Lolawolf – House Key –caitiebee
6. The Aquarium – Can’t Afford to Live Here –rye
7. The Lollipop Shoppe – Don’t Look Back –rye
8. Beck – Truckdrivin’ Neighbors Downstairs –caitiebee
9. The Men – Settle Me Down –rye
10. Queens of the Stone Age – Broken Box –caitiebee
11. Love – A House Is Not A Motel –rye
12. Gwen Guthrie – Ain’t Nothing Goin’ On But The Rent –caitiebee
13. Mount Kimbie – Before I Move Off –caitiebee
Will you be our valentine? We can’t spend every dollar to our name on you or put you in the flyest gear (as early 2000’s R&B teen phenomenon Sammie would) but we can deliver you a steamy playlist full of love, affection, and compassion. Be ours.
1. The one thing we know we’ll see: Big Time Sensuality by Björk –caitiebee
2. It’s a big day, just make sure you “Get it Right” by Catz n Dogz –caitiebee
3. Though sometimes, it’s what we don’t do. Lianne La Havas – What You Don’t Do –rye
4. Maybe give her some “Dandelions” by Daughn Gibson –caitiebee
5. Go The Distance – The White Buffalo It’s nice to hear a raw, realist love song that still manages to make you smile. –rye
6. Remember what it’s all about with “That’s Love” by Oddisee –caitiebee
7. For when you know she’s the only one “fer sure” One Million Lovers – The Growlers –rye
8. Murder By Death – Foxglove The cello riff in this song always gets me. Get got. –rye
9. And get in the mood with “Feel Like Making Love” by The Dynamics –caitiebee
10. Suicide – Sweetheart A real tender one from Alan and Martin. –rye
11. And then a song that reminds us that sometimes, it’s best to just be “Alone” by Petit Biscuit –caitiebee
12. A classic that needs no introduction. Mark Murphy – My Ship –rye
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!
Whether you are spending your night drinking fancy wine at a fancy restaurant or going to a movie with your parents or on the couch swiping right on Tinder, we’ve got tunes for you.
Turn your love light on!
1. This is not new or original by any means, BUT I DON’T CARE EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS SONG BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND YOUR LAMP! -caitiebee
2. Ugly Needs – Miniature Tigers We all got ’em. But “nothing feels heavy when you’re close to me.” -rye
3. Maybe you are spending the special day focusing on something else you love, a passion, like knitting or beer. Take a moment to reflect on why that hobby is so important, take hints from Adam Ant’s Why Do Girls Love Horses? -caitiebee
4. Let Valentine’s Day be your New Year’s and become “born again virgins of life” with your partner to The Growlers – Underneath Our Palms -rye
5. Then clear some space out, so you can space out with Shabazz Palaces – Recollections of the Wraith -rye
6. Sometimes all you can do on February 14th is beg and plead for a lost or fictional love, Plea by Baths commiserates with you. -caitiebee
7. The Barbaras, who later morphed into the Magic Kids, recorded an early stripped down version of Superball with Jay Reatard that was recently recovered, and released as part of a Barbaras compilation. Don’t let your love bounce away.. The Barbaras – Superball -rye
8. And of course…after the party is the after-party. We know what you do in the wee hours of the night. For this I wanted to post Erotic City by Prince, unfortunately he is quite the vigilante when it comes to intellectual property, so here is my current favorite sexy song, Disclosure’s Latch, the DJ Premiere Remix. -caitiebee