Just because the farmer’s almanac says that summer has ended doesn’t mean you shouldn’t continue to jump into every swimming pool/lake/moat you come across, especially if you live in the constant sauna that is Los Angeles. So keep on keepin’ cool this weekend! And while we won’t warn you about the perils of swimming too soon after eating, we will advise you to have a playlist ready for when you find yourself in or around a pool.
1. So let’s jump in with Little Ray’s “Come And Swim With Me” –rye
2. Even when you are sitting at work, we all just want to be able to “Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark)” all day. Here’s Unknown Mortal Orchestra. –caitiebee
3. When the city becomes too hot, a nice dip with the Owiny Sigma Band can help –rye
5. My sister says that Major Lazer’s “Playground” transports her to a raunchy pool party in the tropics, and she is definitely right. –caitiebee
6. If you haven’t caught wind of 10,000 Emeral Pools from BORNS, listening to it makes it feel like you’re wading in a sangria-filled aquarium with your significant other. –rye
7. And California definitly knows how to pool party, like noMBe says in “California Girls” — “Ooh, how I like the smell of West Coast pheromones” –caitiebee
8. Mostly we are all just waiting for that right mood to just make us dive right in , Guts can help with “And the Livin’ is Easy” –caitiebee
9. Really digging the new record from Shaun Fleming aka Diane Coffee. Throw on “Down With The Current” when you’re by the water –rye
10. Cool you insides too with the Talking Heads and a “Popsicle” –caitiebee
11. Make time for some Skinny Dipping with WhoMadeWho –rye
12. Now for some beachy-vibes with Ghanaian roots by way of Brooklyn, Blitz and the Ambassador with “Akwaaba” –caitiebee
13. Unless you are in a wetsuit, we know you’ll be showing some FLESH. –caitiebee
14. And whatever you do, try not to get the Swimming Pool Blues. –rye
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!
Whether you are spending your night drinking fancy wine at a fancy restaurant or going to a movie with your parents or on the couch swiping right on Tinder, we’ve got tunes for you.
Turn your love light on!
1. This is not new or original by any means, BUT I DON’T CARE EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS SONG BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND YOUR LAMP! -caitiebee
2. Ugly Needs – Miniature Tigers We all got ’em. But “nothing feels heavy when you’re close to me.” -rye
3. Maybe you are spending the special day focusing on something else you love, a passion, like knitting or beer. Take a moment to reflect on why that hobby is so important, take hints from Adam Ant’s Why Do Girls Love Horses? -caitiebee
4. Let Valentine’s Day be your New Year’s and become “born again virgins of life” with your partner to The Growlers – Underneath Our Palms -rye
5. Then clear some space out, so you can space out with Shabazz Palaces – Recollections of the Wraith -rye
6. Sometimes all you can do on February 14th is beg and plead for a lost or fictional love, Plea by Baths commiserates with you. -caitiebee
7. The Barbaras, who later morphed into the Magic Kids, recorded an early stripped down version of Superball with Jay Reatard that was recently recovered, and released as part of a Barbaras compilation. Don’t let your love bounce away.. The Barbaras – Superball -rye
8. And of course…after the party is the after-party. We know what you do in the wee hours of the night. For this I wanted to post Erotic City by Prince, unfortunately he is quite the vigilante when it comes to intellectual property, so here is my current favorite sexy song, Disclosure’s Latch, the DJ Premiere Remix. -caitiebee
A few years back I stumbled across the song “Disneyland” by Come On, a lost gem of the NYC 70’s music scene. The lyrics did me in right away, “I hate Disneyland, Mickey didn’t shake my hand. Mickey Mouse is a Rat! Micky Mouse is a rat!” The vocals flip between a damning rant against the happiest place on earth and Mickey Mouse impressions that lead me to believe that the lead singer may have been a lunatic. To give them some street cred, David Byrne allegedly took Brian Eno to see them perform at CBGB.
My original plan here was to post that song for you to enjoy, but I believe that Disney may have used their magic powers to eradicate it from the Internet completely. Nobody puts Mickey in a corner! If you have Spotify please check it out on their album New York City 1976-80, Track 16, it’s a hoot!
Lucky for us, the entire album is fabulous and full of lunatic speech and catchy guitar riffs. Here’s just a taste, “Housewives Play Tennis.”