Despite your religious affiliation, Christmas music is unavoidable if you engage with any kind of media, or enter any retail store this time of year (even if you spend Christmas eating Chinese food and watching Daily Show reruns). So for those who’ve grown tired of Brenda Lee and Mariah Carey, consider this playlist of Holiday-themed tunes. Wishing you all a happy holiday and wondrous New Year!
1. Binky Griptite – Stone Soul Christmas
2. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Big Bulbs
3. Tom Waits – Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
4. Freddie McGregor – O Come All Ye Faithful
5. Dengue Fever – Little Drummer Boy
6. Yellowman – Santa Claus Never Comes to the Ghetto
7. Tracey Thorn – In The Cold, Cold Night
8. The Bird And The Bee – A Christmas Compromise
9. Low – Just Like Christmas
10. Augie Rios – Donde Esta Santa Claus
11. The Everly Brothers – Christmas Eve Can Kill You
12. Booker T & the MG’s – Jingle Bells
13. Butterbean & Susie – Papa Ain’t No Santa Claus (Mama Ain’t No Christmas Tree)
14. Poly Styrene – Black Christmas
“Fever”… originally performed by Little Willie John, has been covered by Elvis, Ella, Beyonce, Madonna, The Jam, The Cramps and many many more.
“Fever” has been covered too many times.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s one of the my favorite songs, but after it’s been slowed-down, sped-up, funked-out, and freaked-around, enough is enough! At least I thought so, until I heard the Susan Cadogan version. Most importantly, I’d never heard a “Fever” cover that made me want to throw on a bikini. Not many things can get me in a bikini, but a 1976 reggae cover from Trojan Records does the trick.
On top of it all, spring is out today in Los Angeles! So in honor of the sunshine, FEVER!
For more like this: Trojan records has released an incredible amount of box sets, with themes from creole to Beatles tribute.